Last month we tapped two maple trees in our front yard. We had high hopes, but the weather didn’t cooperate and the sap flowed slowly.
Today we finally had enough sap, and time, to boil!
We started with 20 cups of sap. It took about four hours to boil it down to the 219° “aproning” stage.
It goes very quickly from done to candy to burnt. If you don’t watch it closely at the end you can ruin the whole thing. We all watched it together. :-) I think in was supposed to be scooping the foam off the top, but I missed that part so I hope it doesn’t matter too much!
It’s pretty thick and viscous and cloudy. I filtered the sap before boiling and filtered the syrup before putting it into the bar, so I’m not sure if the cloudiness is sediment that will settle overnight or if it’s the foam I didn’t scoop off. Either way, it tastes delicious!
160 oz. of sap and four hours = 4 oz. of deliciousness and a fun family project!